Sunday, June 25, 2006

The Bookstore

Over the ages, the bookstore has always played a central role in shaping the human society. The place has a certain charm about it. Really when you stop to think about it, you realize that all human activities have been, are and will be associated with the bookstore. A place of desire (when you see a book that you really want) and wonder (when you see its price). But the bookstore also has a soul, only you may have to search for it. Take yesterday for example, I went to this great bookstore (quite near the college too), and saw ‘Of Human Bondage’ which I’ve always wanted to read. When I looked at the price I was literally shocked - Rs. 508. Hmmm… how can I ever square it off with my conscience? But I was in luck yesterday, I found a low cost edition of the same book (after a lot of (soul?) searching) for Rs. 120 which I can explain to my conscience. So that’s my story - the soul of a bookstore.

hmmm... maybe I should go out more often and go some place other than a bookstore or a library.

ps. I haven’t started the book yet. Been reading ‘Tale of Two Cities’, my first ‘Dickens’. Still, better late than never.

4 comments:

unni said...

why have you taken out indulgence?
it was your best blog so far!

murali said...

@provostazak I will once I finish these 2.

@unniMAD Indilgence had nothing to do with my books. And dont worry there will be even better posts to come. ALSO WRITE SOMETHING IN YOUR BLOG

unni said...

but it is still a good post and your title allows my books and other stuff as well

Anonymous said...

I AGREE WITH YOU A BOOK DOES HAS A SOUL, ONCE MY TEAHER CREID WHEN SHE READ A BOOK TO US. BY THE WAY THANKS FOR READING MY STORIES, I am going to write one more story soon. I wish you will read it and give me comment on how to improve my story.

p.s. Even if you are not a writer.