Sunday, June 04, 2006

Proof

'Proof' is one of the best movies I've watched recently. The movie is about this great mathematician who goes a little crazy and dies. Now his daughter, Gweneth Paltrow, brings out a notebook containing a proof on some theorem on 'prime numbers'. But no one would believe that she did actually write the proof. The best thing about the movie is it doesn't become trite or over simplified. What I mean is that usually when there is a movie on a technical topic, they just show a bunch of formulae or when they show a hacker, he types a lot of stuff on the keyboard and hey presto the security system is breached. The only complaint I have is in the choice of 'prime numbers', aren't there hundreds of important unproved theorems in mathematics? Its always prime numbers in movies take 'PI' another excellent movie but still its on 'prime numbers'. I guess that is the most accessible mathematical conundrum that everyone can identify

2 comments:

Spaax said...

I always thought too much hype surrounds 'Catcher in the rye', but I'll agree with you, it is fairly depressing.
btw, I loved the 'curious incident of the dog'....saw that its up on your profile.
Hello anyway.

Anonymous said...

stupid movie...