Saturday, February 03, 2007

Free offline dictionary for mobile phones

I have a Sony Ericsson k750i phone, but the sad thing is that unlike Nokia phones I can't install freely available software on it (*.sis). I have been searching for a dictionary I can use on my phone for some time now, but since I can only use java programs I couldn't find one anywhere.

So I finally got a small dictionary, the Barron's GRE wordlist (available here), and wrote my own dictionary program. It is not very elegantly written since I don't know how to use j2me very well, but it works and serves my purpose.

If anyone is interested in trying out my free offline dictionary, it is available here: Wordy.jar(279kb). Just copy the .jar file to your mobile phone (should be java enabled).

I guess I have wasted enough time already. Got to get back to my actual work.

16 comments:

Deepak Krishnan said...

we have the same model of phone.. and i want the similarities to end there..

Deepak Krishnan said...

i kinda expected ur latest comment on my blog.. YES I AM INTOLERANT TO THE INTOLERANT

alpha2omega said...

will try it and let you know, but for the time being, get back to your work NOW!

junais said...

tried to check it...but no success..is it me?or does it really work?

murali said...

Hey it works on my phone, I dont know what the problem is.

Ida said...

may i have the dictionary coding?

Unknown said...

yaah, good one.tried to get its code by decompiler :(
But not satisfied.Can u pls mail the code.

@nks said...

its great application ... !! gg .. :)!!

Rohan Pathak said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rohan Pathak said...

Its really hady utillity for cell phones n specially 4 dis mobile which do not support softwares...all Java compatible phones can use it...dat really impressive.

Anonymous said...

Hi.
I really advice Cornucopia as an English to English dictionary, you can download it here:
from the link in this page and this is my English >> Turkish and Tr >> En dictionary.

Anonymous said...

hi:)
i'm very admire u...can i get the source code?reply me A.S.A.P,k.thanks!!

diazack@yahoo.com

Amir said...

Hello!
I need java source code for dictionary. Can i get your dictionary's source code? Tgis is my
E-mail: amir.tirna@yahoo.com

Thanks

Unknown said...

You can download mobile support dictionary (Java)form this web site it's free for all

www.englishlk.com

Rashmi said...

Hey.. Good app.. It works in my phone.. Thank you. :)

Anonymous said...

hey man how are you? may you please send me the source code of your application to nkaswaaga@gmail.com. It will be of much help for me....